Building a security lab is something I get asked about really often. So often, in fact, that I decided to put some of my notes together and record a short training video on the topic. This video is only a small part of a much larger series I’m developing, so if you’re interested in learning more about that when it’s available, sign up for my mailing list.
In this one hour video I discuss the importance of an NSM lab and go through a systematic approach to building your own. I go through the following topics:
- Analyzing your needs to define your inputs and desired outputs
- Modeling your lab by building a list of technologies
- The pros and cons of physical, virtual, and cloud based labs
- Choosing the right platform for your lab
- Designing your lab network
- Sourcing the right hardware for your lab
- Taking a step by step approach to designing and building the lab
Once you’re done with this video, you should have a system you can follow to build a lab that will help you test and build detection, analyze malware, and create simulations. I also provide a lot of insight to my own personal lab I use for my writing and my day job. I’ve also included some additional resources:
- Lab planning worksheet
- An exact parts list from my lab
- Two example lab network diagrams
- The network diagram for my personal lab
You can access the additional resources mentioned in the video by signing up here.