I’m looking for the right person to join me full time at Applied Network Defense. You’ll spend your time building, recording, and teaching innovative security classes and doing research to make the industry better and more accessible.
- 100% remote
- Flexible hours
- No travel requirement
- You don’t have to live in the US
- Must be a fluent English speaker
- Competitive salary + bonus structure
This is a mid to senior-level role. The right person for this job has the following technical experience:
- Hands-on investigations (SOC, IR, host forensics, or malware analysis)
- An in-depth understanding of major evidence sources
- Comfort spinning up and testing theories in a lab
- Solid writing ability
You should be comfortable with and excited about teaching online. You don’t have to possess a significant amount of teaching experience, but you should have a desire to take those skills to the next level (I’ll help you get there).
You should be able to work independently toward a goal and possess excellent remote communication and collaboration ability. You should be open to new ways of thinking and appreciative of diversity.
You should know that it’s okay to say “I don’t know” and that the best answer is often “I need more information.” You should have an appreciation for information security not existing in a vacuum and recognize that the hard problems are rarely two-dimensional.
This job will draw on your creativity, ability to think deliberately and logically, and to empathize with students.
You’ll spend your time split between three types of work:
- Teaching: Building course content, recording online courses, and interacting with students.
- Research: Performing research and releasing blue team content that pushes the industry forward in meaningful ways.
- Misc: Looking for and implementing things to make the company do the other two things better.
You’ll work directly with me. I’ll teach you how people learn so that you can take your technical skills and more effectively share those with the world. In this job, you will always be teaching or learning.
Above all, we don’t waste a lot of time here. We don’t do daily standups, spend all day on Zoom, schedule calls that can be answered with a chat or email, or change our business plan just because a client waves money at us. Our core mission is to be a practitioner-focused company dedicated to developing and providing high quality, affordable training and education. Everything we do supports that mission. We want to draw a straight line between the work we do and the people we help.
If you’d like to apply, e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Answer these questions, being as verbose as you like and knowing that there aren’t wrong answers:
- Why do you think this job is a good fit for you?
- Who is the best teacher you ever had and why?
- What are the best three books you’ve read in the past three years, and why?
- If you could have dinner with three people alive or dead, who they would be and why?
- What is your favorite charity, and why?
- What are 5 places you can prove program execution on a Windows system?
- What makes a question good?
Please include a resume or work history. That can be as long as it needs to be. If you have a writing sample and public speaking/teaching example available, please send that as well. If not, ‘ll probably ask you to make one at some point if you advance to the later stages of the process.